Coronavirus COVID-19 Advice from Tydd St Giles Parish Council
Coronavirus COVID-19 is a highly contagious virus that can be life-threatening to people of all ages.
Please read the following information carefully.
Stay at home
Everyone must stay at home to help stop the spread of coronavirus.
You should only leave the house for 1 of 4 reasons:
- Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
- One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
- Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home
If you go out
- Stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times
- Do not meet others, even friends or family
- Wash your hands as soon as you get home
You can spread the virus even if you don't have symptoms.
- wash your hands with soap and water often - do this for at least 20 seconds
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
Do not leave your home if you have either of these coronavirus symptoms:
- a high temperature - this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough - this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
To protect others, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Stay at home. Use the 111 online coronavirus service to find out what to do.
High Risk Individuals
Coronavirus can make anyone seriously ill, but there are some people who are at a higher risk.
For example, you may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:
- are over the age of 70
- have had an organ transplant
- are having certain types of cancer treatment
- have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
- have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
- have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
- are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
- are pregnant and have a serious heart condition
If you're at high risk of getting seriously ill from coronavirus, there are extra things you should do to avoid catching it.
- not leaving your home - you should not go out to do shopping, pick up medicine or exercise
- stay at least 2 metres (3 steps) away from other people in your home as much as possible
Ask friends, family or neighbours to pick up shopping and medicines for you. They should leave them outside your door